International relations is one of those courses in the university that gives you a clearer view of the world at large. There are different policies and different things that you can learn while studying this course in one of the Top 10 Universities in Kenya Offering International Relations and it will give you a sense of understanding about politics, and what is happening globally.
What is International Relation?
International Relations is a field of study that focuses on foreign affairs and global issues between different states within the international system. The study mainly revolves around political, economic and cultural issues.
You gain a comprehensive understanding of society, people, globalization and multinational markets, this skill set is in high demand among leading employers in both the private and public sectors.
Modern international relations provides learners with a deep cultural understanding that is a foundation for interaction between cultures with different values and beliefs.
Universities in Kenya Offering International Relations
As a student, if you are keen on studying this course, then you should do basic research on the history and other courses that are related to what you are studying.
Below here is a list of some Top 10 Universities in Kenya Offering Certificate, Diploma, Higher Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Diplomacy and International Relations Course in Kenya
1. Zetech University
Zetech offers Bachelor Of Arts – International Relations& Diplomacy. The programme offers skills in the field of international relations and diplomacy; an interdisciplinary field of study that focuses on the study of foreign affairs and global issues that affect states within the international system.
The exciting programme is designed for persons that are engaged in, or planning to embark on a professional career in the field of international expertise required for governments, not-for-profit organisations and corporate firms.
2. University Of Nairobi
The University of Nairobi is undoubtedly one of the best universities in Kenya that offers studies in international relations. The University of Nairobi offers Bachelor of Arts in International Studies. The institution acquaints students with theoretical and practical knowledge of key issues in international studies.
3. United States International University- Africa
USIU-Africa is a private university that offers Bachelor of Arts in International Relations. The course takes a minimum duration of four years, for full-time program and at least six years for the part-time programme.
4. Riara University
Riara University is a private institution that offers international relations programmes that are taught using an inter-disciplinary student-cantered approach to learning, which enables them to take an integrated approach to problem-solving.
Courses you can study at Riara University include; Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Diplomacy and Diploma in International Relations and Diplomacy.
5. Daystar University
Daystar University is a top private institution that offers international relations courses such as; Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Security Studies and Diploma in International Relations
6. Maseno University
Maseno University offers Bachelor of Arts in International Relations and Diplomacy with Information Technology. The programme takes four academic years.
7. Strathmore University
The institution offers international relations programmes which prepare persons who wish to work in diplomacy, international organizations, NGO’s and global corporations. Strathmore University offers Bachelor of Arts in International Studies course.
8. Jomo Kenyatta University Of Agriculture & Technology
JKUAT was established as a university through the JKUAT Act, 1994 an inaugurated on 7th December 1994. The institution offers Bachelor of International Relations and Development course
Other Universities include;
- Catholic University offers Bachelor Of Arts – International Relations
- JOOUST(Jaramogi Oginga Odinga University offers Bachelor Of Arts(International Relations& Diplomacy) With It
- Kenya Methodist University offers Bachelor Of Arts -International Relations
- Mt Kenya University offers Bachelor Of Arts -International Relations
- Pioneer International University offers Bachelor Of Arts(International Relations & Diplomacy
- Rongo University offers Bachelor Of Arts – International Relations
- Technical University of Kenya offers Bachelor Of Arts -International Relations & Diplomacy
- University Of Nairobi offers Bachelor Of Arts – International Studies
Requirements to pursue international relations course
There are several universities in Kenya that are offering this course and many of these universities have their requirements or fees that are being accepted to study this course. Studying this course in any institution in Kenya you will be spending KSH 50,000 and above and it depends if you are going for a short course or a full degree which lasts up to four years.
Degree in International Relations – KCSE Mean Grade: C+
Additional requirements: – English or Kiswahili – C +
Diploma in international relations and diplomacy in Kenya
KCSE Mean Grade: C-(C Minus) or above
Additional requirements: English / Kiswahili: D-
Mathematics / Geography/History/ Business Studies/ Computer Studies/Agriculture/CRE- D-
Skills Required for International Relations Specialist
- You will need to be fluent in English language and any other language as it is necessary for communicating with different people all over the world.
- You will need good organizational skills to excel in this career field that you have chosen to study.
- Good interpersonal skills are needed. This course will teach you all that is needed in building relationships and everything that is needed to make sure that you excel.
- Building relationship with people is essential in this course and there is so much that you can benefit from while doing that.
- International exposure is one of the skills that is needed in excelling in this course.
Roles of an International Relations Specialist
- Spearhead international expansions by opening new branches where assigned.
- Initiating international communications, marketing, and fund-raising programmes.
- Directing International Office branches when it comes to planning of projects, their implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and more.
- Act as the primary point-of-contact for international affairs.
- Maintaining proper relationship with international partners and initiating new relationships with governments/other partners
- Organizing and evaluating international activities including conferences, seminars, etc.
Career prospects for an International Relations Specialist
Here are some of the typical jobs that a degree in international relations may open for you:
- International Relations Assistant
- Lecturer -international relations
- Relations Specialist
- International PR professional
- International marketing specialist
Political Affairs Officer
- Political scientist
- International policy analyst
- Corporate consultancy
- Intelligence Specialists