There are several benefits of joining ICT professional body in Kenya. Becoming a member of an ICT Professional body, is the first step to take towards the journey of prosperity and advancement in IT ventures and endeavors.
The benefits include but not limited to participation in international activities, Networking and learning from others, Promotion of capacity, Liaison with Government, job creation, economic empowerment, Education, Training, Promotion of Awareness and being a source of commentary and thought of leadership.
Top 10 Benefits of Joining ICT Professional Body in Kenya
There are many benefits that comes with the decision of joining ICT professional body as mentioned above. Lets now take a look at the 10 major benefits as listed below.
1. Advance Your ICT Knowledge
ICT Professional organizations sometimes offer courses, seminars and/or lectures to keep themselves and their members up to date on the latest industry innovations, research and trends. Staying informed on your industry’s trends will only help you in the long run and will put you one step ahead of the competition!
Some ICT Professional bodies in Kenya will Provide the following specific academic benefits;
- Access to the Society database and library including proceedings, periodicals, and other documents of the association
- Discount on professional training based upon number of attendees and reduced member rates for any staff member attending our workshops or seminars.
- Educational programs – at the local, and national levels including online education programs, keep you informed with the latest information.
2. Better Job Opportunities
In Kenya most job advertisements require one to be part of a professional body related to their work. Joining an ICT professional organisation can be very beneficial to you because it helps you get a better understanding of your field through training and also provides you with networking opportunities.
Most Associations often have job listings online or in print available only to their members. This is a great way to find targeted job postings for your area of interest.
They also provide;
- Freely accessible 100-word job posting in the website career page.
- Career Center – Nation wide job postings and resume listings are available at their online career centre.
Tap into the hidden job market with their job search and job listing databases
3. Great Leadership Opportunities
ICT Professional associations give you an opportunity to develop your skills as a leader, and this is important not only for your personal growth, but for your growth in your firm.
Some professional membership opens effective, challenging and rewarding avenues to leadership, ranging from local involvement to national visibility. Leadership positions are available through their Chapters, Professional Interest Sections, and national committees.
4. Improved Career Network
Making connections is critical, and joining relevant ICT associations give countless opportunities to connect on a local and sometimes even global level. For most people, creating professional relationships is important, and joining a group allows you to have a sense of security and trust.
You are also likely to benefit from the following;
- An opportunity to meet and exchange ideas with colleagues in industry, government, and academia
- Attend professional networking events.
- Meet peers from around the country at the annual national conference.
- Connect with local members through our Regional Chapters and branch forums.
5. Become A Mentor
Giving back can be the greatest reward and benefit. Participating in forums, chat groups or discussion boards sponsored by an association is also a great way to grow your network.
Some professional bodies offers a series of mentoring tools to help you become an effective mentor as well as to find one from within and outside of the profession of ICT.
6. Better Business Opportunities
The ICT professional bodies will alert the market of your availability through your skills register and consultants directory. They will also provide business networking opportunities like attending professional networking business events.
Identification of business opportunities will include;
- Negotiating and signing MOUs with foreign ICT trade bodies
- Coordinate visits of foreign delegations
- Network through affiliate bodies
- Publish news and market intelligence
- Finance, funding and investment (looking for opportunities)
7. Partnership With The Government
Government at all levels can affect you, your livelihood, and how you practice your profession. The ICT professional bodies provides a voice for the ICT professional that reaches the state legislature.
Other specific benefits will include;
- Promote values of ICT’s in government service delivery
- Assist with development of e-government strategies and policies
- Partner in developing incubators and technology parks
- Advice in developing appropriate tax policies
- Ensure procurement policies support local industry
- Lobbying for appropriate legislation and regulations
8. Better Research Opportunities
The ICT associations will Contact professionals for specialized research and customized services.
Conducting research will involve
- Annual survey of Kenya ICT sector
- Target reports on specific overseas markets
- Participate in international data collection and research
- National ICT capacity census and audit
9. Awards and Recognition
ICT professional bodies recognizes public relations programs and public relations tactics for excellence in the profession through various awards. Through their different individual awards programs, the associations recognizes individuals who, during the course of their careers, have made outstanding contributions to the profession.
In addition, they also look into;
- Recognition as a corporate member in other affiliate bodies in different countries
- Delivering benefits that support you throughout your career, and ensure you are recognized for your qualifications and experience
- Enjoy an exclusive mechanism for interaction with other corporate members
10. Build A Better Resume
Most institutions have an assessment process that applicants must pass before they are granted membership. This means that, once you have demonstrated that you have the requisite experience, qualifications and skills, you may join the institution.
Many organizations have career resources available such as tips on effective resumes or cover letter writing. Listing your association membership on your resume is impressive to current or future employers as it shows that you are dedicated to staying connected in your profession.
Furthermore, some have an assessment process that applicants must pass before they are granted membership. This means that, once you have demonstrated that you have the prerequisite experience, qualifications and skills, you may join the institution.
You may then add the appropriate letters to your CV and business card. Membership shows that you have reached a certain level of expertise in your profession, and adds to your credibility. It also shows that you are serious about your career and professional development.