The Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority (TVETA) is a corporate body that regulates the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET). There are over 1,500 registered TVET institutions in Kenya, and they all offer a lot of courses for you to choose from, but only 278 courses out of them all are approved by the TVETA.
Which means you should be careful on the course that you decide to pursue in a TVET institution so that you don’t end up pursuing a course that has not been approved by the TVET Authority.
This article will help you in identifying the most marketable TVET courses to pursue in Kenya.
But first let’s understand what TVET and TVETA means.
What is TVET and TVETA
TVETA is the authority mandated to oversee the licensing and accreditation of learning institutions, trainers, and programs here in Kenya. As a learner who wishes to join a TVET Authority institution, it is important to find a licensed institution for your certification to be recognized. Besides, I will recommend you go through the below list of the marketable TVET courses in Kenya to find out what will suit you best.
TVETA came into being through the Technical and Vocational Education and Training Authority Act that was put in place in 2013. Its main aim was to deliver a competitive workforce meant to be relevant in the Kenyan market. To do this, the institution oversees the registration, licensing, development, and accreditation of institutions in Kenya.
In addition to this, it certifys trainers and develops the curriculum in conjunction with CDACC. TVET Authority emphasizes the accountability and professionalism of its members while ensuring integrity, teamwork, and public participation.
Is there Difference Between Technical And Vocational Training?
If you are a student in Kenya, you must be wondering what vocational training means and if it is any different from technical training.
Technical training is job training that focuses on a particular skill while vocational training includes training of the complete skills needed for a particular job. For example, if you learn pipe installations, you will have acquired technical skills. You can work as a plumber, but your skills will be limited to pipe installations.
On the other hand, vocational training is where you are taught all aspects of plumbing, both theoretical and practical. Not only will you be able to make informed calculations, but also know how to install pipes, among other practical skills
TVET Courses Qualifications And Requirements
Qualification requirements vary from one course to course. To understand the qualifications needed to enroll for a particular course, visit the portal of your institution of choice and find out if they have any of the courses that you desire to undertake. You should find the list of requirements there too.
With the minimum entry requirements for the university set at C+ (plus), there are many interesting courses that you can undertake in your preferred technical and vocational institution. One thing to note is that the subjects that you did in high school will also determine the kind of course that you will undertake in these institutions of higher learning.
List Of Marketable TVET Courses In Kenya
TVETA has so far approved a total of 278 courses that are competency-based. The approval process is also meant to protect students like you from enrolling in fake courses. Here is a list of the most marketable TVET courses in Kenya.
- Certificate in Disaster Management
- Certificate in Social Work
- Certificate in Community Development
- Certificate in Business Management
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Business Management
- Certificate in Tour Guiding
- Diploma in Journalism
- Certificate in Electrical Engineering
- Certificate in Supply Chain Management
- Certificate in CPA
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
- Certificate in Computer Engineering
- Certificate in Food Preparation &Culinary Arts
- Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Certificate in Human Resource Management
- Diploma in Catering and Accommodation
- Certificate in Catering and Accommodation
- Artisan in Building Technology
- Artisan in Fashion Design and Garment making
- Grade III in Electrical Wireman
- Grade III in Tailoring & Dressmaking
- Grade III-1 in Masonry
- Grade III-1 in Hairdressing
- Diploma in Homecare Management
- Craft in Homecare Management
- Diploma in Kenya Registered Nursing
- Trade Test in Motor Vehicle Mechanics
- Trade Test in ICT
Other Marketable TVET Courses
- Diploma in Food Production
- Craft in Food Production
- Diploma in Food Production, Sales and Service Management
- Diploma in Pastry and Bakery
- Diploma in Housekeeping
- Craft in Food Production, Sales and Service Management
- Diploma in Housekeeping and Laundry
- Diploma in Tourism Management
- Certificate in Media Techniques
- Diploma in Media Techniques
- Diploma in Psychological Counseling
- Craft in Psychological Counseling
- Diploma in Animal Health and Production
- Diploma in Animal Health and Range Management
- Diploma in Leather Technology
- Craft in Leather Technology
- Craft in Animal Health and Production
- Craft in Animal Health and Range Management
- Diploma in Insurance
- Proficiency in Insurance
- Craft in Insurance
- Craft in Information Technology
- Craft in Entrepreneurial Agriculture
- Craft in Dairy Management
- Craft in Dairy Science and Technology